About your Delinquent Taxes

Published By Admin on December 4, 2015

Question: I am unable to pay my delinquent taxes. Will the IRS accept an offer in compromise?


You may qualify for an offer in compromise (OIC) if you are unable to pay your taxes in full, or are facing economic hardship or other special circumstances. Refer to Tax Topic 204 - Offers in Compromise, for more information.

The following details the application process and the items you need for consideration of your application:

  • Complete the application using Form 656, Offer in Compromise.
  • You must include the non-refundable $186 application fee with your offer. If you are requesting a low-income exception to the fee, complete Section 4 of Form 656.
  • See Step 6 on page 4 of the Form 656-B, for more information on the required initial payment and application fee.
  • See Steps 2 and 3 on page 4 of the Form 656-B to determine if you must include either:
    • A completed Form 433-A (OIC), Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals, or
    • A completed Form 433-B (OIC), Collection Information Statement for Businesses. Source: